Just like your skin, the condition of your hair also shows the status of your internal health.The cells that make up each strand of hair require a regular supply of key nutrients. Here is a list.
Importance of protein
- The most important component of each hair strand.
- If you are not consuming enough protein, you can face hair problems like hair loss,thinning of hair etc.
- For lustrous and healthy hair, opt for good sources of protein like egg , fish,chicken , milk and milk products, legumes and nuts.
- It is one of the most important mineral for hair. Too little iron in your diet is a major cause for hair loss.
- When iron levels (serum ferritin) fall below a certain point, you may experience anaemia. This disrupts the nutrient supply to the follicle, affecting the hair growth cycle and may result in shedding.
- Vegetarians can raise their iron stores by including lentils,spinach and other leafy green vegetables such as broccoli, kale and salad greens.
- Non vegetarians can include chicken, fish and egg in their diet.
Omega 3 fatty acids
- These are essential fats which you need to get from external sources.
- Omega-3s are found in the cells that line the scalp and also provide the oils that keep your scalp and hair hydrated.
- Eat fish, seeds like pumpkin, nuts and avocado.
- Zinc Deficiency leads to changes in the protein structure of hair follicles leading to weakening of their structural integrity. This means new hair will fall off much more quickly than their normal pace.
- To avoid hair loss or greying of hair, include seeds, nuts, eggs and soy products.
- Vitamin C aids the absorption of iron so food items high in vitamin C are good to eat in conjunction with iron-rich foods.
- The best sources of vitamin C are oranges, kiwis, guavas, strawberries, broccoli, papayas and sweet potatoes.