The main factors which contribute to the formation of kidney stones are
- Food we eat
- Life style we live
The food we consume generally consists of calcium, phosphate, oxalate, urea and few other salts and minerals which are normally excreted through urine. Consumption of food rich in these substances as well as improper excretion of these substances through urine leads to formation of kidney stones.
Average kidney stone measures from 3mm to 7cm.
Kidney stones are common among both sexes. Males are more prone to it.
Causes of Kidney stones
- Decreased intake of water/ Dehydration.
- Recurrent urinary tract infection.
- Controlling/holding urine for long time
- Drinking water rich in calcium and chloride
- Eating foods high in salt, spices and coffee
- Imbalance of parathyroid hormones
- Prostatic enlargement
Signs and symptoms
- Sharp/sudden pain in low back region and on flanks radiates to abdomen
- Burning urination
- Blood in urine
- Frequent urination
- Nausea and vomiting
Obstruction of urinary tract -> Hydronephrosis-> Kidney Failiure
- Ultrasonogram KUB
- X ray KUB
- CT Abdomen
- Intravenous pyelogram
- Processed foods,Fast foods, Soft drinks, Baking soda, Icecream, chocolate
- Drinking water rich in calcium and chlorine
- Decreased intake of salt
- 3-5 litres of water per day
- Tender coconut, plantain stem juice, butter milk
- orange, lime, pineapple, custard apple, musk melon, water melon
- pumpkin bottle gourd, ash gourd, ridge gourd.