Foods play a major role in guarding and fighting against disease producing antigens by production of natural antibodies.
Certain foods helps to increase the body’s production of infection fighting WBC’s and interferon, an antibody that coats cell surfaces and blocking out viruses .
- Vegetables with Phytonutrients: Green leafy vegetables, Carrots.
- Fruits with Vitamin C: Berries- Strawberry, Gooseberry, Blueberry, Raspberry, Melons, Pomegranate.
- Foods with Essential Fatty Acids(EFA):Pulses, Whole grains.
- Foods with Omega 3 fatty acids: Nuts, Fish.
- Foods with Vitamin D: Milk and milk products.
- Foods with probiotics: Yoghurt.
Other factors which boost immunity includes:
- Following general hygienic measures such as Washing hands before and after a meal, while handling pets, after using toilets, after playing.
- Regular exercise.
- Ample Sleep.
There are few factors which plays a crucial role in boosting the immune power of children
- Fruits and Vegetables: Some fruits and vegetables helps to increase the production of defense forces of body WBCs(fight against infections) and Interferon(blocks the entry of viruses). Including them in diet helps to increase the immune power
- Green leafy vegetables, carrots, beans
- Pulses, whole grains rich in essential fatty acids
- Eggs, lean meat
- Yoghurt rich in probiotics
- Vitamin C rich fruits
- Vitamin D rich foods
- Boosting sleep time: Sleep deprivation or lack of sleep increases the susceptibility to illness by decreased production of natural killer cells.
- Breast feeding: Breast milk contains immunity enhancing antibodies and WBCs.
- Exercise/ Increased physical activity: Physical activities increases the production of natural killer cells.
- Guarding against germ spread: Practising hygienic measures such as washing hands before and after meal, after playing, after using toilet, after handling pets helps to guard against germs.
- Reducing the intake of antibiotics: Avoid antibiotics whenever child is infected with cold, flu, sorethroat. Antibiotics treat illness caused by bacteria but majority of the childhood diseases are caused by viruses. Child’s immune system is capable of fighting against them naturally.